“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” — Mathew Broderick as Ferris Bueller, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Now that we have the project identified in the Define phase of DMAIC, let’s take the lessons learned from the first phase and get the ‘real story’ behind the current state by gathering data and interpreting what the current process is really capable of.
Measure Phase of DMAIC Overview
- Detailed Process Analysis
- Process flowchart.
- Detailed process map
- Target Values: (Smaller is better, larger is better)
- Data Collection
- Data Collection Plan
- Plan for and begin collecting data.
- Data Organization / Data Display / Data Patterns
- Select the right tool to identify the data patterns and to display your data.
- Spaghetti Diagram
- Pareto Chart
- Identify the variation & sources of process problems
- Data stratification
- Process Sigma calculation.