What Kind of Six Sigma Training is the Best for You?
Some of the most common questions I get are about which Six Sigma Training classes are appropriate, which ones I like, and what course of action candidates should take.
I’m considering a college course on six sigma before taking the next step with you. I believe you suggested this in your 1st email.
Purdue has one so i reached out to them but do you recommend any one in particular?
I do absolutely recommend taking training before making use of my guides to try to pass a certification exam. The certification exams are difficult enough for people who know the material well! Trying to simultaneously learn and prepare for the exam may be more difficult than it needs to be.
I wish I had a short, crisp answer for all of the inquiries I get about Six Sigma training, but I don’t. The answer is ‘it depends’ on your particular circumstances.
Once you know that Six Sigma is appropriate for your career path, the kind of training that would be best for your depends on all kinds of variables that are unique to you and your own situation.
How I Evaluate Six Sigma Training Options
There are several pillars that I try to evaluate when recommending a training program for some one.
Here are some of the questions you should ask yourself and the training provider:
Alignment of Training with You
- Will it help you achieve your mission?
- Does it align with a published Body of Knowledge?
- You’ll likely want to match this with a specific certification organization.
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt online course via e-Careers. ” the course I (took) did not relate to the exam – I like this about your study guide… How topics are explained and then have exam examples but also relate to the real world. ” – Naomi Haynes
- What do you get with the fees? Are books and lectures available?
- What are the downloadable or physical resources?
- How long do you keep access to materials?
- Do you get a certification test voucher?
- Does it include various software (like Minitab)?
- What do you get if you successfully complete the program?
Effectiveness of Training
- Have other people taken the training and liked it?
- What have other people been able to accomplish due to this training? Is that in alignment with your mission?
- What is the method and mode of the instruction? And does that fit your learning style?
- Are both academic principles and practical applications taught?
- Are mentors available?
Your Ability to Take the Training
- Is it affordable to you? Or, if you’re being reimbursed or otherwise subsidized, is it easy to work with the
- What are the time constraints needed to complete the training?
- How long do you have to complete the work?
- What are the pre-requisites for joining?
- Academic degrees?
- Other six sigma belts?
- Years working in the workplace? (Sometimes working in a quality role already?)
- Company sponsorship?
- An approved DMAIC project?
Six Sigma Training Options
Six sigma training is offered in many ways. Here are broken up by category that you might want to investigate.
In-Person Classes for Six Sigma Training
Local colleges often offer courses. In the US I see a lot of schools advertising their programs at the Six Sigma conferences I attend.
My growing list includes:
I personally took Six Sigma Greenbelt classes at my local community college years ago. It was held over the course of a semester and required regular class attendance, homework, a final exam and a semester-long cap stone project.
Here’s an example of Six Sigma Green Belt description offered by my local community college:
Six Sigma Green Belt Training @ CPCC 12 week training Course with regular quizzes, Real-world Applied Case study DMAIC Project, Capstone exam You’ll learn through a blended program of classroom instruction and online instructor-led labs.
To graduate with Green Belt Certification, the course requirements are as follows:
•Active attendance and participation in classroom instructions
•Complete all on-line modules with post-test scores of > 80%
•Approval of a project report demonstrating Lean Six Sigma methodology
•Passing grade of > 80% on the final exam
Here’s an example of Six Sigma Black Belt description offered by my local community college:
Six Sigma Black Belt Training @ CPCC: Six -hour Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification course. $3000
1.Certification Exam and demonstration of data analysis skills using Mini-tab
2.Demonstration of Skills: online assessment and testing
3.Class Participation: Group discussions and implementation planning
4.Computer lab: Exercises and reports
On The Job Training for Six Sigma Training
Many companies ask Six Sigma Black Belts to train high-potential candidates in their organization to be Six Sigma Green Belts. I have personally coached candidates to receive their Six Sigma Greenbelt.
On-Line Classes for Six Sigma Training
Several reputable companies offer on-line courses. I find that the best blend text books, off-line video, and on-line instructor-led classes. I personally took the Villanova Six Sigma Black Belt course and it offered all of those methods.
Note: My thoughts on the legitimacy of on-line Six Sigma exams.
Here’s an example of Six Sigma Green Belt description offered Villanova
Villanova Six Sigma Green Belt Training: $2,295 eight-week course
Mid to upper-level managers responsible for top-line growth will gain skills to implement cost reductions and improved organizational capability and capacity.
Here’s an example of Six Sigma Black Belt description offered by Villanova
Villanova Six Sigma Black Belt training: $4,095
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt This 16-week course is ideal for knowledgeable Green Belt practitioners or those with equivalent experience who would like to enhance their status as recognized leaders.
12 week training Course with regular quizzes, Case study DMAIC Project, Capstone
Join successful project managers who are saving billions by improving productivity, reducing waste, variation and defects.
Other Online Six Sigma training that I’ve heard about:
- Pyzdek Institute
- Various options on LinkedIn Learning
- Various options on Udemy
- Various options on Coursera
- Syracuse university partnership (especially for veterans)
- EdX (option to either take for free or pay and get a certificate)
- ASQ’s World Partners list (helpful for those looking for ASQ training around the world.)
- Purdue University (online)
My Final Thoughts on Six Sigma Training Options
- Remember your core mission.
- You’ll likely benefit from multiple types and multiple instructors.
- This is a continuing effort. You wouldn’t want your physician to go to med school and then not learn anything else over a 40 year career! It’s the same with Six Sigma. Invest in continuous learning.
- Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.