Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Ted Hessing
      Keymaster

Six Sigma Study Guide Support

Introduce yourself! There’s a lively community here on Six Sigma Study Guide. Spend a few minutes and introduce yourself. Tell us about your Six Sigma journey, what you’re working on now, and what you could use help with!

Nandini Setia
      Participant

Basic Green Belt Study Guide (Free)

Hi I am a physician trying to self study for the IASSC green belt due to the flexibility of test taking times (24/7 at home) during residency. I don’t really know where to start! Stumbling upon this site was a great help, and it seems to be the only resource out there. Are there any youtube videos/tutorials out there that you recommend to get started?

Ted Hessing
      Keymaster

Hi. Thanks for the kind words. Best of luck studying! There are plenty of training courses out there (Villanova, MoreSteam, ASQ’s options, etc) However, each of them are quite costly. You might find some basics for low prices on Udemy, but the quality there seems poor at best. Khan academy has several great concept videos, especially in the statistical space but they do not have a curated list.

Creating such a series of tutorials on this site is an often-requested feature but there are other more pressing needs I need to address before diving in there.

This site started as a reference / study notes section for my personal use. It has grown since then, but as teaching wasn’t the primary mission, I don’t have a complete ready-made option for you. However, I think I can help:

1) Go to the IASSC Green Belt Study Guide here. I’ve linked each concept in their BOK to the articles I’ve written. You should get a great understanding reading though those. For anything that is unclear, just leave a comment at the bottom of that page and I’ll get back to you. Many pages do have videos embedded in them.

2) Consider the resources that I’ve listed on this page to ground the necessary context.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Nandini Setia
      Participant

Thank you so much! FYI I was doing some research and there is a free EDX course starting June 15th, I’m not sure if youve already posted that somewhere, but I know your site is quite visible on search engines. That doesn’t fit into my timeline, but maybe it will help someone else.

https://www.edx.org/course/quality-engineering-management-tumx-qemx-0

ant3041
      Participant

Hello my name is Anthony Smith I am currently studying for my Black Belt

Ted Hessing
        Keymaster

Great, Anthony! Can you tell me what organization you are looking to certify with and when your exam is?

leonle2000
      Participant

Hi,
      My name is Andy and I am currently studying for my Black Belt at Villanova.

John Houser
      Participant

Hi, my name is John and I am studying for the IASSC Black Belt Exam. I took the SimpliLearn BB course and passed their exam. I now want to move on and pass the IASSC ICBB exam for more recognition worldwide.

Thanks for creating this site! A lot of great information here. This site is exactly what I am looking for – how to pass the IASSC BB exam. I’ve lead a lot of Lean Six Sigma projects, but I always have been able to look up the formulas/charts and use Excel. Memorizing what to use when will be my challenge.

I was trying to get started and use the sample exam engine noted here: https://sixsigmastudyguide.com/six-sigma-practice-exams/

But I do not get the screen to select the exam I want to practice (as noted in the HOW TO GET STARTED section). I am using the links just above this section right now.

Thanks !!

Ted Hessing
        Keymaster

Hi John, This issue should be fixed with the latest software release.

Elizabeth Burdine
      Participant

I appreciate the chance to ask questions. I have significant experience with statistics (so that won’t slow me down) but I’d like to sit for a black belt test before a June 1 convention (while working full time). I’m looking to develop a consulting practice with small businesses through the accounting world. Any thoughts on which test I should tackle? Does anyone eventually sit for more than one? Thanks.

Ted Hessing
        Keymaster

Hi Elizabeth. Thanks for posting. I think you’re asking for a recommendation on which organization you should get certified by. There’s some debate on this. From my perspective, I tend to like the ASQ certification the best. This is because it requires certificants to pass a rigorous exam AND demonstrate having led successful projects.

I originally sat for the Villanova BB exam and passed that. Not an easy exam but not terribly difficult. My colleagues and others I knew in the industry favored the ASQ so I sat for that one as well. There is a longer discussion on which organization is the most recognized here.

I don’t think there is a hard or fast rule. In your case, perhaps the best measure would be which endorsement would your potential clients would favor? I’m very interested in what others would say here, too. Looking forward to seeing additional comments.

Off topic – I really enjoyed the book Six Sigma for Small Business. It’s a quick read that I recommend all practitioners check out. But it might be especially interesting for you.

abhi26
      Participant

Hello,
      My name is Abhishek and Project lead Engineer in Oil and Gas company. I have wide exepriance in Project management and work quite closely with different team starting from manufacturing till supplier.
      I have basic training of process in company and i like to pursue certification for Six sigma.
      I have following questions :
      1. Which exam should i take for worldwide recognisation ? There are different committies available like ASQ, IASSC, Villanova etc. Please advise.
      2. Where can i get materials to learn ?
      3. Can i start directly with Green belt and skip yellow belt ?
      4. There are lots of private institute who offers coaching and certification. Are those recommended or can you please suggest some good one ?

Thanks.
      regards,
      Abhishek

abhi26
      Participant

Hello Keymaster,

Thanks for your quick reply.

You have provided plenty of good information and i can definitely start with my Green belt project work.
      I have some basic training about process and i believe that i can start with Green Belt directly.
      You have provided very good material and resource links. I will go through it.

I have still doubts about the membership. I have free membership account and it will expire in upcoming weeks.
      Would I able to access this account or link once free membership expire ?
      What are the key advantages of taking membership in this community ?
      If you have can share more details on those area, it will be great.
      Many thanks.
      Best regards,

Mohamed Thameem Manar
      Participant

Hi Ted,

My Name is Thameem and I’m from India. I’m thinking about getting certified for Six Sigma green belt. I’ve liked your work and the content of six sigma was simplified. I’ve also gone through many websites and I’ve had a Idea of what is Six Sigma created for and the basic concepts.
      I need to know whether I need a UG degree and 3 years of work experience in a specific field to do so. Please do reply if you are aware of it. Also I need to some genuine Institute for pursuing Six Sigma green belt. I’ve check ASQ, ISI, Sixsigmaonline & Issac. I would like to attend class directly instead of pursuing online.

Ted Hessing
      Keymaster

Hi Thameem,

Acceptance requirements vary based on the certification body. Each one has slightly different credentialing, so you’d have to check with each one on what they require.

As for taking a class in-person, try contacting your local universities and see if they have something on offer. Also, you could check with your local ASQ branch or see if any IASSC’s approved vendors offer something locally.

Best, Ted.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.