Who was Genichi Taguchi?
Taguchi is considered the “Father of Quality Engineering.”
“Quality is related to the financial loss to society caused by a product during its life
What Was Taguchi’s System:
Starts with conception, through design, and into production.
- Discuss Taguchi’s quality imperatives
- Discuss different approaches to loss function
- Learn how to use orthogonal arrays in designs
- Identify the goal of randomization
- Taguchi: Uses orthogonal (balanced) arrays, but are types of fractional factorial designs
- Identify Taguchi robustness concepts
- Learn three design considerations
- Discuss Signal/Noise (S/N) ratios
Taguchi’s Quality Imperatives
- Quality losses are a loss to society
- Robustness is a function of product design
- Robust products have a strong signal to noise ratio
- tolerances should be set prior to manufacturing
What is Taguchi’s Loss Function
When would you use Taguchi’s loss function?
Example of Using Taguchi’s loss function in DMAIC
Apply Taguchi robustness concepts and techniques such as signal-to-noise ratio, controllable and noise factors, and robustness to external sources of variability.
Additional Helpful Loss Function Resources
What is Taguchi Robust Design?
Describe the elements of robust product design, tolerance design and statistical tolerancing.
When would you use Taguchi’s Robust Design?
During the design and analysis of two-level fractional factorial experiments
Example of Using Taguchi’s Robust Design in DMAIC
Construct experiments and apply computational and graphical methods to analyze and evaluate the significance of results.