Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Michael Moore
      Participant

Six Sigma Study Guide Alumni

As I begin to study for the GB exam, what materials are you allowed to take into the test? As I understand it, a fairly simple calculator is allowed. What about notes, blank paper? Do I need to bring a copy of Z table?

Thanks,
      Michael

Ted Hessing
      Keymaster

Six Sigma Study Guide Support

Hi Micheal,

It depends on the examining organization. I would recommend reaching out to them ahead of time.

Calculator. I went with the most basic one imaginable. I only needed it to have an exponential function and a logarithmic / e^n function. My 3 year old has taken a liking to it – once I find where he put it I’ll take a picture and email it to you.

The letter of the law from ASQ is

“Any silent, hand-held, battery-operated calculator with no programmable memory will be permitted. Programmable calculators tend to have graphing capabilities, the ability to store text/alphanumeric data by the input of the user, and a function (fn, F1, F2, etc.) button.” https://asq.org/cert/faq/calculator

From my memory of the ASQ exam no answer walkthroughs were permitted. For example if you had an an illustrated how to solve a Paired T test, that wouldn’t be permitted.

To completely answer your question it was absolutely imperative that I bring my own tables and formula sheets. ASQ provided nothing.

As for flash cards, it’s hard for me to answer that without seeing them.

In short, I would follow these principles:

What do I want to have? Bring all of that.

Get there early, review all of your materials with your proctor. Expect several items to be disallowed.

Make sure that you can easily remove objectional material while preserving your other reference material. I personally had a binder and everything with a 3 hole punch on single-sided paper so I could remove anything they wanted.

Bring tons of blank paper. I found it helpful to go through and do all of the questions I knew and/or could easily look up in my references. For everything else I made sure I drew out the whole problem on a single sheet of paper that wasn’t cluttered with anything else on it. That gave me the headspace to reduce the exam to one problem at a time and made my thinking very clear.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.