Several different types of testing.
Non-Destructive Testing (NDT)
Doesn’t break the tested item. Can be open to interpretation.
Just look at it.
- High frequency vibration.
- You can also use to find dimensional thickness. Ex. Hollow wall castings.
- Similar to sonar.
Magnetic Particle Testing
- Used to find defects in ferromagnetic alloys.
Liquid Penetrant Testing
- Rapid model for detecting open surface defects in ferrous and non ferrous materials.
- Used on nonporous metallic and nonmetallic materials.
Eddy Current Testing
- Measure flow of eddy currents in a material having identical characteristics as the test piece.
- Comparing with the test piece shows how much in or out of standard it is.
Can be performed using a file or a hardness of 10 material. It is quick, easy and not expensive.
More complex, time intensive, expensive and accurate.