- Digital Calipers – Useful to send data directly to computer programs.
- Dial Calipers – Have jaws.
- Vernier Calipers – Use Vernier Scale – 1/1000 of an inch | 0.001 inch. Have been replaced by digital or dial calipers.
- Depth gage: Come in various shapes and sizes. Used to measure depth of holes, slots, and the distance from a surface to a projection.
- Indicating gage: shows the amount of variation in size of the specification.
- Master gage or reference gage: is used to check the working gage for accuracy prior to measuring.
- A device that compares a part or a form to a desired contour.
- A beam of light is used and the resulting shadow is magnified by a lens system. The shadow is compared to a master chart.
- Surface plates provide accurate reference surface.