o Define what needs to be piloted
o Identify where pilots will be run
o Identify team members
o Determine how pilots will be conducted and length of time
Similar to the Define phase of DMAIC – what are you trying to do? What do you hope to achieve? What is the definition of success? How are you going to get there? Who is impacted? Whom do you need help from?
- Traits of a Pilot
- Small scale
- Designed to incrementally increased-employee involvement
- Utilize simulations – process improvement may be simulated using mathematical or computer based modeling
- After the Pilot
- Adjust the pilot plan for uncovered problems and to accommodate the scale of implementation.
- Collect and evaluate pilot results.
- Create a summary of the strategy used to pilot the solution and the results achieved.
o Finalize design
o Training for new work methods
o Fine-tune new process
- Sustain & Improve – The control phase
o Requires the highest level of employee involvement
o Conduct weekly & monthly reviews